Friday, February 4, 2011

Roman Shades-ISH



Window MISTREATMENTS!  Wa HOO!!!!!


I have been wanting so badly to be able to use those words on my blog!  Am I a total dork, or what?!?!  For those of you who don't know what a window mistreatment is...then you MUST visit the Nesting Place or Thrifty Decor Chick!  Their mistreatments are my inspiration to redo every stinkin' window in my house!!!!!   I really wanted to do roman shades in my Girly Bedroom, but really didn't want to have to do a lot of sewing or thinking!  I bought some extra material that matched the headboards and some black out material to line them with. Sewed a big rectangle (using the dimensions of my window).  I sewed a pocket at the bottom because I had seen a DIY roman shade in a magazine at JoAnn's and I liked the straight edge that was created by inserting a 1/2" pvc pipe across the bottom edge of the shade.  So, I sewed the pocket and stuffed a pvc pipe in there!  Now I have a great straight edge at the bottom, even when the shades are up in roman fashion!  

To make our lives a little easier my husband cut a piece of 2x4 the lenghth of the window and we simply stapled the top edge of the fabric around the wood and then screwed the wood into place.  I love the way they turned out so far.  

My original idea was to just roll them up when I wanted them up, so I attached brown roping to keep them rolled up.  Here's my inspiration:  Roll up shades with Ties

After living with the shades like this for a while I decided I just wasn't happy with them!  Originally they were staying down almost all the time because the little chica was still taking naps and I needed the room to stay dark.  But, now that she has quit napping (booo) I can have them up more often!  

Enter Sarah, that Thrifty Decor Chick, with all her splendiferous ideas!!!!  If she could do a  mocked up version of a roman shade, then so could I!  I hot glued a small loop of ribbon at to different positions on the back side of the curtains...and I screwed a hook into the inside of the window...they attach super easy...it took me all of 20 minutes to do this to both windows and I LOVE THEM!!!!!  Really, I love them!  I rarely say that about one of my projects!



I can't decide whether I like them with the little tie ups...or without!?!?!?  What do you think????


Have you ever made a "window mistreatment"?  I'd love to see them...link it UP!











1 comment:

  1. I really like your mistreatments, great job! I'm looking to do something similar in my daughters bedroom. I like it with the ties a lot! Awesome material!

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE to read your comments, hear your thoughts and listen to what you have to say.

If you have a specific question feel free to email us directly and we'll do our best to get back to in a timely manner...